POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools : Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
From: CFM
Date: 22 May 2004 17:25:00
Message: <web.40afc50027c58a6ad5551b880@news.povray.org>
> Umm. What??? Try looking in the folder with clockdemo.pov. Unless you
> have changed the master file (povray.ini), then by default all 'frames'
> are outputed into that same folder as clockdemo1.bmp, clockdemo2.bmp,
> clockdemo3.bmp, etc. These are the actual animation that gets generated.
>
> Lets put it this way.. Think of the clockdemo.pov file like a set of
> instructions for a photographer. You give him a folder named "clockdemo",
> which contains the instructions on 'what' to photograph (clockdemo.pov).
> However, your sticking a post-it note on the outside (your command line
> options), and telling him to ignore the instruction in the folder
> (clockdemo.ini). He takes out the .pov instructions, sets up his camera
> in front of the stuff it tells him to take pictures of, then starts
> snapping photos according to your instructions on the post-it note. Each
> photo he takes (he is using a Polaroid, so the develop themselves each
> time one is snapped), he numbers it and drops it into the folder. Once he
> has all twenty, he hand the folder back to you, with each of the numbered
> photos in it.
>
> I think what is confusing you is that POVRay only 'takes' the snapshots
> and shows the one 'currently in front of the camera'. It doesn't have any
> way to look at all the ones it previously took. You need a program like
> Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Gimp, etc. to look at each of the snapshots.
> What TMPGEnc does is take each of those individual snapshots and stick
> them together into a movie. The images needed to do this are *not* in the
> clockdemo.pov file, but they 'should' be in the same folder though and be
> numbered 1 through 20.
>
> If they are not there, then try looking in a couple of other places. The
> first place to look, if you are running it using the command line thing
> 'inside' POVRay is in the directory POVRay itself runs from. It is
> possible, since you are not using the normal method of running it, that
> it could be placing them there instead, but I doubt it. If you are
> running it from a DOS window, try looking in the same place as you ran it
> from in there. If you still can't find it, then look in povray.ini for
> the line:
>
> Output_File_Name= ...
>
> If this line exists, then it should only contain a directory. All images
> you create with POVRay will be created in 'that' folder. Normally this
> line is empty or blocked out so it doesn't do anything. I don't remember
> which. In any case, someplace, somewhere you have a set of files called
> clockdemo1.bmp through clockdemo20.bmp or something similar. If all else
> fails, open a DOS window and type "dir clockdemo*.* /s/p". If the files
> are anywhere on you hard drive, it will find them. TMPGEnc needs the
> 'first' one of those files, **not** the .pov file.
>

> --
> void main () {

>     call functional_code()
>   else
> [...]
OK, I think I spotted the problem. I couldn't understand you. I assumed the
version of POV-ray I'm using rendered all the pics in one file:
clockdemo.pov. Instead, my program rendered each picture and automatically
stored them in a separate FOLDER somewhere else. I found them in the
POVimages folder (clockdemo, clockdemo00, clockdemo01, etc.). Now what? Oh,
BTW, there are many other images in that folder besides those from the
clockdemo. Should I seclude them into a separate folder?